Get in shape for summer
The warmer weather is finally upon us (well as warm as it gets in the UK at any rate!) so now is the time to take a good long look in the mirror and decide if you need to do a little toning up ready to bare your body in summer clothes.
Two areas to concentrate on to maximise your efforts are the amount of exercise you do and the food you eat.
Let’s start with your diet. It’s been said that a healthy balanced diet gets you about 70% towards your weight goals. So don’t think that by exercising alone you’ll reach those goals.
Try following these easy guidelines to help kick-start your healthier regime:
- Eat a mix of fresh vegetables, fruit, meat and fish throughout the week to give you enough of the nutrients your body needs to function.
- Eat smaller portions. If necessary add in an additional small meal throughout the day, but by reducing your portion size your body will digest and use the food for energy more easily.
- Eat lean meats i.e. chicken and fish, rather than red meats that are much harder for your body to digest.
- Avoid simple sugars. Sugars that are found in certain drinks, white bread, and white pasta etc, switching them for low glycemic complex carbohydrates such as brown bread, brown pasta, vegetables and some fruit.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Don’t eat within 2 hours of going to bed.
Next we move on to exercise. In addition to eating healthier it’s important to exercise to get your heart active and tone up.
The Tabata Method is ideal to get you back in to shape, or as an addition to your regular exercise routine, because it’s based on high intensity interval training exercises that you can do with very limited time and from anywhere.
Follow these simple guidelines to help you stay on track:
- Start off slow. When embarking on any new training method, start slowly and build yourself up. This is particularly important for the Tabata Method because it’s just a 4 minute workout that when done at its optimum has you working out at 100%. So depending on your fitness level, start around the 50% mark and when you feel comfortable and your heart rate is steadier, gradually increase the intensity to which you workout.
- Warm up & cool down. Always warm up before working out and cool down afterwards. This allows your muscles to get ready for the exercise they are about to endure, and then get rid of any built up lactic acid after exercising. It’s also said that warming up and cooling down results in fewer injuries, but there isn’t the evidence to back that theory up completely.
- Workout with a friend. Having a workout partner will help ensure you stay focussed and actually turn up! Even if you do our online classes from home, get a friend to come over and take part with you. It’ll make it more fun and give you both the incentive to stay motivated.
- Workout 3-5 times per week. Exercising once per week is unlikely to give you the results you’d want in time for summer. Taking part in our Tabata workouts 3 times per week, and then adding another couple of your own sessions in the gym or even out walking will help burn any unwanted calories and tone your muscles quicker.
- Vary your exercise. The Tabata Method is ideal because each class works out a different muscle. Intersperse this with running, playing tennis, going to the gym, and you’re achieving a great full-body workout.
Follow these steps and you’ll feel super confident this summer!